VILLAGE OF COTTAGE GROVE MUNICIPAL COURT PROCEDURES
PLEASE NOTE: THERE ARE NO IN-PERSON COURT APPEARANCES HELD ON THE COURT DATE YOU HAVE BEEN GIVEN. However, we would like to resolve your case by having you review your options below and follow the instructions depending on how you would like to plead.
1) If you do not want to enter any formal appearance and prefer to dispose of your ticket simply by paying it, you can do so either by mail or online.
2) If you choose to plead Not Guilty, the court will schedule a telephone pretrial conference with the Cottage Grove village attorney just as if you had appeared in person and entered your plea. You will receive a date, time and instructions for your phone conference.
3) If you wish to plead No Contest or Guilty, you should include with your plea a description of any circumstances surrounding your ticket which you would like the court to take into consideration. This includes proof of insurance, etc.
4) If you are a juvenile and wish to plead No Contest or Guilty to your municipal citation, you will, in most cases, be offered resolution of your ticket via Peer Court. Traffic citations cannot be sent to Peer Court.
5) IF YOU FAIL TO ENTER A PLEA OR FAIL TO PAY YOUR CITATION, THE COURT WILL ENTER A FINDING OF GUILTY BY DEFAULT JUDGEMENT. You will have 60 days from that date to pay your citation(s).
YOUR PLEA MUST BE ENTERED OR PAYMENT MADE BY THE COURT APPEARANCE DATE ON YOUR CITATION. Submit your plea by email (firstname.lastname@example.org ) or regular mail or put in drop-box at the Village Municipal Building, 221 E. Cottage Grove Rd., Cottage Grove WI 53527. Payment can be made by check or money order or on-line at the Village of Cottage Grove website ( www.village.cottage-grove.wi.us ) under Bill Pay then Pay Court Fines.
If you have any questions concerning these procedures, please contact the court either by email
( email@example.com ) or by phone (608-839-8064). Please advise the court if you have a change of address or wish to provide your email.
Hon. Mark L. Hepfinger, Municipal Judge
Cyndi Peck, Clerk of Court
Village of Cottage Grove Municipal Court
221 E. Cottage Grove Rd.
Cottage Grove, WI 53527
The Cottage Grove Municipal Court serves the village and operates independently of the Police Department. The court clerks office is located at the Village Hall, 221 E Cottage Grove Road, Cottage Grove (2 blocks east of the intersection of County Highway N and BB in Cottage Grove). Tickets can be paid at this location during business hours; weekdays, 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Regularly scheduled initial court appearance sessions are held at the Village Hall (address and location noted above) for citations issued into the Village Municipal Court. If you were issued a citation, the date and time of the initial appearance and location of the court is on the ticket. Regular court dates are the third Tuesday of every month at 6:00 p.m. at the Village Hall.
Questions & Contact
Questions concerning court appearances and citations, trials or case status can be directed to the Municipal Court Clerk at 608-839-8064 or emailed to the Municipal Court. Mail should be addressed to:
Municipal Court Clerk
Cottage Grove Municipal Court
221 E Cottage Grove Road
Cottage Grove, WI 53527